CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Guest Speaker: I Have No Idea What His Name Is

Ok, so yesterday (Wednesday) we had a guest speaker in class who came to talk to us about Global Warming and how we (Americans) caused the earthquake in Haiti.

I love controversial topics and so I was ready to hear what this man had to say.

Then he started his presentation. The first slide (aside from the cover page) was a scripture, Genesis 1:1. "In the beginning, God created a heaven and an earth." He proceeded to tell us that the way we interpret the scripture is all wrong. Slam on the brakes!

He explained that God was a group of people and that "In the beginning" wasn't really in the beginning but in A beginning.

Stop the presses!!!! I could have sworn that throughout my whole educational career at FAMU we were always taught that the easiest way to get people to throw out anything that you are saying to them is to talk about religion and politics. Those are the two things that will make a person shut down and ignore you completely.

And that was the first place he went; religion.
His next slide was about False hope and on the list was Jesus Christ. That was it. I totally tuned him out after that point. And the crazy thing is, I didn't even realize what I was doing. It was like my brain went on auto pilot.

In class on Monday, we discussed framing. One of the articles stated that when people have a specific frame and they are presented with ideas or concepts that contradict that frame, they throw away those ideas and concepts not the frame.

That is exactly what I did. I have a frame (Christianity) and even though the evidence that the guest speaker presented might have been right ( I doubt it with everything in me) I threw away the evidence not the frame.

All in all, I have no idea what that man was talking about. I was only half listening and I don't think anything he said held weight to me even though he told us to research his facts.

Did anyone else do the same thing?

0 comments: